All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew forms of music elicit such strong reactions as does heavy metal. Embraced by millions of fans, it has also attracted a chorus of critics, who have deunced it as a corrupter of youth,even blamed it for tragedies like the murders at Columbine. Deena Weinstein argues that these fears stem from a deep misunderstanding of the energetic, rebellious culture of metal, which she analyzes, explains, and defends. She interprets all aspects of the metal world,the music and its makers, its fans, its dress code, its lyrics,and in the process unravels the myths, misconceptions, and truths about an irreverent subculture that has endured and evolved for twenty years.
- Author BiographyDeena Weinstein is a professor of sociology at DePaul University in Chicago. Her numerous books, chapters, and articles in professional journals range from the sociology of rock to postmodern theory. She also writes music reviews and features for numerous magazines, alternative weeklies, and websites.
- Author(s)Deena Weinstein
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication17/03/2000
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDa Capo Press Inc
- Content Note8 b&w illustrations
- Weight516 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.