All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this groundbreaking work, Richard L. Velkley examines the complex philosophical relationship between Martin Heidegger and Leo Strauss. Velkley argues that both thinkers provide searching analyses of the philosophical tradition's origins in radical questioning. For Heidegger and Strauss, the recovery of the original premises of philosophy cant be separated from rethinking the very possibility of genuine philosophizing. Common views of the influence of Heidegger's thought on Strauss suggest that, after being inspired early on by Heidegger's dismantling of the philosophical tradition, Strauss took a wholly separate path, rejecting modernity and pursuing instead a renewal of Socratic political philosophy. Velkley rejects this reading and maintains that Strauss' engagement with the challenges posed by Heidegger - as well as by modern philosophy in general - formed a crucial and enduring framework for his lifelong philosophical project. More than an intellectual biography or a mere charting of influence, Heidegger, Strauss, and the Premises of Philosophy is a profound consideration of these two philosophers' reflections on the roots, meaning, and fate of Western rationalism.
- Author BiographyRichard L. Velkley is the Celia Scott Weatherhead Professor of Philosophy at Tulane University and the author of Being after Rousseau: Philosophy and Culture in Question and Freedom and the End of Reason: On the Moral Foundation of Kant's Critical Philosophy.
- Author(s)Richard L. Velkley
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication17/10/2014
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.37Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $17.85Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.