Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.89Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.73Trending at AU $74.56
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $43.66
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.53Trending at AU $38.29
- AU $12.48Trending at AU $16.19
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $23.89Trending at AU $26.86
About this product
- DescriptionLonglisted for the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature On 1 November 1984, a day after Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's assassination, a nineteen-year-old student, Raj, travels back from a class trip with his mentor, Professor Singh. As the group disembark at Delhi station a mob surrounds the professor, throws a tire over him, douses him in gasoline, and sets him alight.Years later, after moving to the United States, Raj finds himself compelled to return to India to find his professor's widow, the beautiful and enigmatic Nelly. As the two walk through the misty mountains of Shimla, painful memories emerge, and Raj realizes he must face the truth about his father's role in a gecidal pogrom. But, as they soon discover, the path leads inexorably back to that day at the train station.In this lyrical and haunting exploration of one of the most shocking moments in the history of the Indian nation, Jaspreet Singh has crafted an affecting and important story of memory, collective silences and personal trauma.
- Author BiographyJaspreet Singh was born in Punjab, and brought up in Kashmir and in several cities in India. He is a former research scientist with a PhD in chemical engineering from McGill University, Montreal. His debut short-story collection, Seventeen Tomatoes, won the 2004 McAuslan First Book Prize. Chef, his first novel, won the Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction, was longlisted for the 2010 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, and was shortlisted for four awards including the 2009 Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book. He lives in Toronto.
- Author(s)Jaspreet Singh
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication06/08/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight476 g
- Width150 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.