All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.23
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionClimate change is eroding the familiar pattern of the seasons, so we turn instinctively to the life cycle of herbaceous plants to guide us through the year. The growing, flowering, seeding and dying back to earth of wild flowers, weeds, herbs and garden perennials sustain and enrich our everyday lives with food, metaphor, joy, anxiety, medicine, stories, beauty and enchantment. Above all, by enabling us to read the changing seasons, plants help us navigate our way in the world. Herbaceous is a journey which follows the colour pulse of plants throughout the year, searching for new rhythms in a changing world. It begins with yellow: the pulse of early insects and the symbol of the returning sun. It is followed by spring's vernal whites and the hedonist, spirited pinks of summer. Gradually, the strange and melancholy blues of early autumn are replaced by the ripple of seed-setting and a return to the browns of our subterranean winter dreams. Herbaceous is gardening with words. It is a book of audacious botany and poetic vision which asks us to look anew at our relationship with plants and celebrates their power to urish the human spirit.
- Author BiographyPAUL EVANS spent many years as a gardener working in rose nurseries, graveyards, historic gardens in Wales and a botanical garden in New York. He is a writer, broadcaster and award-winning playwright, best known for his 'Country Diary' in The Guardian and various natural history programmes and drama-documentaries for BBC Radio 4. Paul has also been a performance poet, a nature conservationist, holds a PhD in philosophy, and is currently a lecturer at Bath Spa University. He lives in Much Wenlock, Shropshire, with his family.
- Author(s)Paul Evans
- PublisherLittle Toller Books
- Date of Publication12/05/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleLittle Toller Monographs
- Place of PublicationWimborne Minster
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLittle Toller Books
- Content NoteEtchings by Kurt Jackson
- Weight227 g
- Width130 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Illustrator(s)Kurt Jackson
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.