Herding Cats: A Primer for Programmers Who Lead Programmers by J.Hank Rainwater (Paperback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $50.06Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHerding Cats: A Primer for Programmers Who Lead Programmers is a comprehensive guide--think of it as a field manual--to the management challenges of supervising and leading programmers. J. Hank Rainwater introduces new and t-so-new managers to concepts that will encourage them and help them become a strong leaders for their teams. You'll learn about the varieties of programmer personality traits and be able match personnel to projects for maximum productivity. You'll also learn how to manage your strengths and weaknesses as you improve your leadership skills, which will result in dramatic improvements to your teams success. In this how-to manual that's both practical and thought-provoking, you'll find several chapters devoted to administrative aspects of your job, such as managing meetings, hiring and firing, and principles of organizing your job for success. Rainwater also describes task management software he built that you can use to organize project assignments. (The source code for this software is available for download once you own the book). The chapter on technical leadership, which highlights the importance of architecture, design, and code reviews, also illustrates practical applications of leadership and concrete methods useful to any workplace. Rainwater shows why things can go wrong for a leader and how to correct career-derailing problems as they arise. One chapter is devoted to the working relationship that you as a manager have with your boss, and it guides you into the best way to respond to the pressures of software project deadlines. Numerous other topics are discussed that are a necessity for anyone seeking to manage the peopleware aspects of software development. Herding Cats: A Primer for Programmers Who Lead Programmers is the definitive guide to the challenges and obstacles facing anyone who manages programmers. Table of Contents * Adapting to Your Leadership Role * Managing the Leader * Leading the Herd * Organizing for Success * Managing Meetings * Philosophy and Practice of Technical Leadership * Leadership in Eclipse * Leadership Redux * Working with Your Boss * Words without a Song
- Author BiographyHank Rainwater leads programmers who build software for the insurance industry at Risk Sciences Group in Atlanta, Georgia. His career in science and engineering has spanned over three decades and has included writing Fortran programs on punch cards; teaching college mathematics; conducting research in radio astronomy, missile guidance systems, and remote sensing technologies; and managing the building of embedded digital control systems. As a software professional, Hank has served as a consultant, mentor, and teacher of programming languages and has led development teams in several industries.
- Author(s)J.Hank Rainwater
- Date of Publication01/03/2002
- SubjectManagement Techniques: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight594 g
- Width186 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed.
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.