All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2007, Misha Angrist became the fourth subject in the Personal Geme Project, George Church's ambitious plan to sequence the entire gemic catalog: every participant's twenty thousand-plus genes and the rest of his or her 6 billion base pairs. Church hopes to better understand how genes influence our physical traits, from height and athletic ability to behavior and weight, and our medical conditions, from cancer and diabetes to obesity and male pattern baldness. Now Angrist reveals startling information about the experiment's participants and scientists; how the experiment was, is, and will be conducted; the discoveries and potential discoveries; and, the profound implications of having an unfiltered view of our hardwired selves for us and for our children. DNA techlogy has already changed our health care, the food we eat, and our criminal justice system. Unlocking the secrets of our gemes opens the door t only to helping us understand why we are the way we are and potentially fixing what ails us but also to many other concerns: What exactly will happen to this information? Will it become just ather marketing tool? Can it help us understand our ancestry, or will it merely reinforce old ideas of race? Can personal gemics help fix the U.S. health care system? Here Is a Human Being explores these complicated questions while documenting Angrist's own fascinating journey-one that tens of thousands of us will soon make.
- Author BiographyMisha Angrist is an assistant professor at the Duke University Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy. He lives in Durham, North Carolina, with his wife and two daughters.
- Author(s)Misha Angrist
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication05/12/2011
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight294 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.71
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.