All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
About this product
- DescriptionOver uncounted generations the Tlingits and Haidas of Southeast Alaska developed a spoken literature as robust and distinctive as their unique graphic art style, and passed it from the old to the young to ensure the continuity of their culture. Even today when the people gather, w under lamplight rather than the flickering glow from the central fire pit, the ancient myths and legends are told and retold, and they still reinforce the unity of the lineage, and clan and the culture. Mary Beck has selected nine of the ancient myths and legends from the oral literature that are authentic for one group or ather from this region.
- Author BiographyMary G. Beck is a classical scholar (M.A. from Stanford) who has lived in Ketchikan, Alaska beginning in 1951 when she married a third-generation Alaskan. Besides rearing a family, she taught literature and writing courses for thirty years at Ketchikan Community College, a branch of the University of Alaska. Mary has an abiding interest in the Native culture of Southeast Alaska and a commitment to recording its oral literature. She is also the author of two other related titles, Heroes and Heroines in Tlingit-Haida Legend, and Potlatch: Native Ceremony and Myth on the Northwest Coast as well as articles on Native mythology and on travel by small boat to towns and Native communities in Southeast Alaska. She and her husband currently reside in Bellevue, Washington.
- Author(s)Mary Giraudo Beck
- PublisherGraphic Arts Center Publishing Co
- Date of Publication01/06/2013
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationPortland
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAlaska Northwest Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight347 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Illustrator(s)Nancy DeWitt
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.