All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.59
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionThe book introduces the print-series Taiheiki eiyu den or Heroic Biographies from the 'Tale of Grand Pacification', designed by Utagawa Kuniyoshi (1797-1861), who is considered the founder of the heroic genre in Japanese prints. The series is devoted to the final years of the sixteenth century civil wars and the key figure of the day, Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1536?-98). All fifty prints of the series are reproduced in full color. Each print is accompanied by a translation of the extensive texts incorporated into the composition and detailed historical and cultural commentaries. The introductory essay reviews the peculiarities of Kuniyoshi's warrior images, explores the roots of Toyotomi Hideyoshi's popularity and discusses the texts in the prints as a source of information on the late medieval warriors' outlook and battlefield practices.
- Author BiographyElena Varshavskaya teaches art history at the Rhode Island School of Design in the USA. SInce the mid-1990s she devoted special attention to the Taiheiki eiyu den print set, in combination with Japan's late 16th century history and the treatment in the arts of the banned historical topics under the strict censorship regulations in Japan of the 1840s.
- Author(s)Elena Varshavskaya
- Date of Publication01/01/2005
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintHotei Publishing,The Netherlands
- Content Note50 colour illustrations
- Weight1551 g
- Width251 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.