All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.80Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing on from Hidden Aberdeenshire: The Coast, this new volume moves inland to tell the stories of the countryside, from the fertile farmland of Buchan to the high peaks of the Cairngorm Mountains. Visit Macbeth's reputed grave at Lumphanan, where he was supposedly buried by his supporters after being killed by Malcolm Canmore, later Malcolm III of Scotland; meet the Maiden Stone's forgotten companion, the larger-than-life Persephone sculpture, near the foot of Bennachie and learn the significance of the Kintore Arms Public House to a terrible murder back in 1863. Come and visit the two most fascinating burials in Braemar cemetery, of poor crofter, Peter Grant who fought at Culloden and outlived Bonnie Prince Charlie, and the Black Colonel, John Farquharson of lnverey, who made his bed in the rocks above his castle, but did t lie peaceful in his grave after death. Learn about Trooper Smart of Kintore who died in South Africa as a result of a lion attack; The set of a local horror movie which turns out to be an early 19th century farm and Wormy Hillock, an early site of Pagan worship near Rhynie.Join historian and guide Dr Fiona-Jane Brown for these and many more quirky, forgotten and hidden tales, this time from Aberdeenshire's landward districts.
- Author BiographyDr Fiona-Jane Brown, folklorist, educator and storyteller, began Hidden Aberdeen Tours as a response to the deep concern of locals about the increasing industrial and business development situation in the city. Dr Brown holds a PhD in Ethnology, gained in 2010 after studying at the Elphinstone Institute, Aberdeen's unique centre for the study of North- East Scottish folklore. She is now developing more dramatic aspects of history through a new ghost tour.
- Author(s)Fiona-Jane Brown
- PublisherBlack and White Publishing
- Date of Publication14/10/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack and White Publishing
- Content Notecolour photographs
- Width202 mm
- Height150 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.