All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.14Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionThis practical and accessible book of case studies takes a new look at self-harm, focusing particularly on the under-explored area of 'hidden' self-harming behaviour. These behaviours may t be immediately identifiable as self-harm by counsellors, therapists or their clients, but Maggie Turp shows how recognition and understanding of hidden self-harm can improve practice with those affected. The author begins by discussing extracts from infant observation studies that reflect on the role of maternal care in encouraging the tendency towards self-care. A series of detailed case studies follows, including a client who has a serious eating disorder, a client who abuses recreational drugs, works excessively to the detriment of his mental and physical health and sustains a series of unconsciously invited 'accidents', and one caught up in 'self-harm by omission', who fails to 'take care' and delays seeking vital medical care. The clinical accounts highlight the importance of attending to the client as a whole person and of building on the self-caring tendency that has prompted him or her to seek help in the form of counselling or psychotherapy. Written from a psychoanalytic perspective, but using straightforward language, Hidden Self-Harm is a valuable resource for social workers, psychologists, teachers, nurses and lay helpers as well as for counsellors and psychotherapists.
- Author BiographyMaggie Turp is a London-based psychoanalytic psychotherapist and supervisor in private practice. She began her career in psychology and social work and has worked extensively in the field of mental health.
- Author(s)Maggie Turp
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication19/11/2002
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight371 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.