All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHigh Anxieties explores the history and ideological ramifications of the modern concept of addiction. Little more than a century old, the tions of addict as an identity and addiction as a disease of the will form part of the story of modernity. What is addiction? This collection of essays illuminates and refashions the term, delivering a complex and mature understanding of addiction. Brodie and Redfield's introduction provides a roadmap for readers and situates the fascinating essays within a larger, interdisciplinary framework. Stacey Margolis and Timothy Melley's pieces grapple with the psychology of addiction. Cann Schmitt and Marty Roth delve into the relationship between opium and the British Empire's campaign to control and stigmatize China. Robyn R. Warhol and Nicholas O. Warner examine accounts of alcohol abuse in texts as disparate as Victorian vels, Alcoholics Anymous literature, and James Fenimore Cooper's fiction. Helen Keane scrutinizes smoking, and Maurizio Via turns to the silver screen to trace how the representation of drugs in films has changed over time. Ann Weinstone and Marguerite Waller's essays on addiction and cyberspace cap this impressive anthology.
- Author BiographyJanet Farrell Brodie is Department Chair of History at Claremont Graduate University and author of Contraception and Abortion in Nineteenth-Century America (1994). Marc Redfield is Department Chair and Professor of English at Claremont Graduate University. He is the author of The Politics of Aesthetics: Nationalism, Gender, Romanticism (2002) and Phantom Formations: Aesthetic Ideology and the Bildungsroman (1996).
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication21/11/2002
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note1 b/w photograph, 1 line illustration
- Weight54 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJanet Farrell Brodie,Marc Redfield
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.