All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionAcclaimed historian Tim Newark tells the story of the Highlanders through the words of the soldiers themselves, from diaries, letters, and journals uncovered from archives in Scotland and around the world. At the Battle of Quebec in 1759, only a few years after their defeat at Culloden, the 78th Highlanders faced down the French guns and turned the battle. At Waterloo, High- landers memorably fought alongside the Scots Greys against Napoleon's feared Old Guard. In the Crimea, the thin red line stood firm against the charging Russian Hussars and saved the day at Balaclava. Yet this story is also one of betrayal. At Quebec, General Wolfe remarked that, despite the Highlanders' courage, it was great mischief if they fall. At Dunkirk in May 1940, the 51st Regiment was left to defend the SOE evacuation at St Valery; though following D-Day, the Highlanders were at the forefront of the fighting through France. It is all history, w: Over the last decade the historic regiments have been dismantled, despite widespread protest. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in history--books about World War II, the Third Reich, Hitler and his henchmen, the JFK assassination, conspiracies, the American Civil War, the American Revolution, gladiators, Vikings, ancient Rome, medieval times, the old West, and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a <i>New York Times</i> bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyTim Newark is an acclaimed historian, journalist, and author. He's written seventeen works of military history and other nonfiction, has contributed book reviews to the Financial Times, Time Out, and the Daily Telegraph, and has worked as a scriptwriter and consultant for seven television documentary series for the History Channel and BBC Worldwide. He lives in England.
- Author(s)Tim Newark
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication23/08/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Weight363 g
- Width145 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.