Save on Travel Guides
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $34.93
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $19.59
- AU $7.31Trending at AU $12.24
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $14.49
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $32.54
About this product
- DescriptionThere Is Adventure Waiting Just Off The Highway! Speeding down an Interstate highway is way to see America. For a real taste of our history, our culture, and adventure, you have to travel the back roads, far away from toll booths and rest area service plazas. That is where you will discover the interesting locations and fascinating stories tourist bureau will ever tell you about. For years, Nick and Terry Russell have traveled America's back roads in search of the little kwn historical sites, oddball museums, and unsolved mysteries that never make it to the evening news. Come along for the ride as they explore small towns and discover wonderful bits of trivia and the stories buried along the back roads. Stories like that of West Virginia's Zona Hester Shue, the Greenbrier Ghost, who came back from the grave to see her killer brought to justice. Or the mystery of who is buried in Daniel Boone's tomb. Two states, Missouri and Kentucky, both claim to be the final resting place of the pioneer explorer. We've all heard of the midnight ride of Paul Revere. But have you ever heard of John Henry Wisdom, the Paul Revere of the South? During the Civil War, Wisdom made a longer nighttime ride than Revere did, alerting the countryside of an approaching Union army. Everybody kws about the Great Chicago Fire, which killed some 300 people. On the very same night, the entire town of Peshtigo, in rthern Wisconsin, was destroyed, with ten times as many lives lost! Stories like this, along with the little-kwn tales of an Old West outlaw who became famous only years after he fell to a posse's guns; of a dead man who led a wagon train over the Oregon Trail; of America's only king ; of ghosts who still haunt an old prison; of battlefields; of lady spies; historic forts; gamblers; lawmen; ancient mysteries. These stories and more await you on lonely two lane roads in every corner of America.
- Author BiographyBefore becoming a fulltime RVer, New York Times Kindle bestselling author Nick Russell published daily and weekly newspapers in Washington, Oregon, and Arizona. He and his wife Terry, are the publishers of the popular Gypsy Journal RV travel newspaper, and Russell presents travel seminars at RV rallies across the country. Nick Russell is the author of Highway History and Back Road Mystery, Meandering Down The Highway - A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers, Work Your Way Across The USA - You Can Earn A Living And Travel Too!, The Frugal RVer, Overlooked Florida, Overlooked Arizona, Dog's Run, and the bestselling Big Lake mystery series. You can follow Nick on his Facebook Author's Page, Nick Russell's Writing Life or at www.nickrussellbooks.com.
- Author(s)Nick Russell
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication19/11/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.