All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this easy to use, informative, and occasionally eccentric guidebook, David A. Steinberg blazes the trail to more than twenty-five unusual landmarks and hard-to-find destinations that are mostly within a two-hour drive of New York City. Suitable for the experienced hiker or camping adventurer - as well as anyone who has the desire to explore - Hiking the Road to Ruins includes many new ruins and historic sites to see: remnants of the two World's Fairs in Queens, mysterious stone chambers scattered about rthern Westchester County, winter adventuring in Harriman, and quarries that contain amazing artifacts. In this new edition, Steinberg adds four additional chapters and has revised throughout the book to include detailed directions, GPS coordinates to specific sites, a hand-drawn map, and suggestions for the optimal time and season to visit. Having led many types of hikes and trips over the past fifteen years, Steinberg leaves part of the trip unplanned. He even suggests ideal conditions for outings. An overcast day, for instance, sets up the haunted atmosphere appropriate for visiting a water tower in Mountainside, New Jersey, that has links to a murder-suicide in the 1970s. Newcomers will gain experience as they make their way through the book, which includes a chapter on equipment and safety, detailed instructions on how to program a hand-held Global Positioning System receiver, and a glossary of terms. Both a practical guide and a creative chronicle, Hiking the Road to Ruins will inspire everyone to hit the trail in search of adventure.
- Author BiographyDavid A. Steinberg is a life-long resident of the New York City area and has been a paid leader of hikes for fifteen years.
- Author(s)David A. Steinberg
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleRivergate Regionals Collection
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note24 maps, 80 photographs
- Weight331 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $35.43
- AU $34.00Trending at AU $50.35
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $24.83
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $27.41
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $16.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.