CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the most thorough study yet of the whole process of recruitment, indoctrination and performance of those responsible for the guarding of concentration camp inmates. It is t an attractive subject - the conversion of human beings into murderers and individuals routinely carrying out appalling acts of cruelty is bound to be shocking. But it happened under the Third Reich on a massive scale.Of the 55,000 Nazi concentration camp guards, some 3,700 were women. The book studies their behaviour with examples along with that of their male counter-parts.The book follows the development of concentration camps from the early beginnings in the 1930s (Buchenwald, Sachsenhausen etc), through their establishment in the conquered territories of Poland and Czechoslovakia to the extermination camps (Dachau, Auschwitz). In parallel it describes, using original source material, the behaviour of the guards who became in numerous cases immune to the horrors around them.This is well borne out by the conduct of the guards during the Liberation process which is also movingly described using numerous personal accounts of shocked Allied personnel.
- Author BiographyIan Baxter is a much published author and photographic collector whose many books draw an increasing following. He is the author of many books in the Images of War Series. He lives near Chelmsford, Essex.
- Author(s)Ian Baxter
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleImages of War
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight376 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.