Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
About this product
- DescriptionDr. Bhardwaj's in-depth study of the various aspects of the institution of pilgrimage shows that instead of being a simple practice it has been a gigantic phemen affecting all aspects of Indian life...integrating diverse forces, various cults, and numerous traditions over the ages. --Asian Student This is the best general survey of a major religion's total pilgrimage system and the best intensive investigation of one of its subsystems...Dr. Bhardwaj's book is an important step towards the recognition of a social phemen which has for millennia played a crucial role in the integration of religions, nationalities, and international communities. And, t least importantly, it is highly readable. --Journal of the American Academy of Religion Detailed, accurate, and generally informative; he has succeeded in tracing, for the first time, the relationship of the rank-order or 'level' of a sacred place...to its degree of sanctity, type of deity, and caste and motivation of the pilgrim...The implications of Mr. Bhardwaj's study are profound and necessary to the understanding of Indian religion...it is fascinating. --Times Literary Supplement Here is a fine example of what the geographic study of India needs: disciplined work that shows full awareness of Indian cultural meanings...it sets a worth standard. --Professional Geographer
- Author BiographyDr. Surinder Mohan Bhardwaj is Professor Emeritus. He teaches about Pilgrimage Geography at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio.
- Author(s)Surinder Mohan Bhardwaj
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication08/07/1983
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleCenter for South & Southeast Asia Studies, UC Berkeley
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note57ill.M.
- Weight68 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.