All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUsing interviews with world-rewned and invative hip-hop DJs, as well as techlogy manufacturers that cater to the market/culture, this book reveals stories behind some of the iconic DJ techlogies that have helped shape the history and culture of DJing. More importantly, it explores how DJs have impacted the evolution of techlogy. By looking at the networks of invation behind DJ techlogies, this book problematizes the tion of the individual genius and the concept of invention. Developing a theory of techcultural synergism, this book attempts to detail the relationship between culture and industry through the manipulation, exchange, and rights associated with intellectual property. While the subject of hip-hop and intellectual property has already been well explored, this is the first time that hip-hop DJs have been conceptualized as intellectual property because of their role in the R&D and branding of DJ products. The book also addresses the impact of digital techlogy on the democratization of DJ culture, as well as how new digital DJ techlogy has affected the recorded music market.
- Author BiographyAndre Sirois (PhD, University of Oregon), a.k.a. DJ food stamp, is an instructor at the University of Oregon, where he teaches courses on filmmaking and popular culture in the media. He has over 17 years experience as a hip-hop, scratch, club, and radio DJ. His scratches have been featured on numerous artists' songs, including the gold-selling single by Spose, I'm Awesome. He is one of the founders of DJistory/DJpedia, a non-profit organization and archive dedicated to preserving and telling histories of DJ technology and culture.
- Author(s)Andre Sirois
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication26/02/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitlePopular Culture and Everyday Life
- Series Part/Volume Number27
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight450 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.