All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>A <i>Richmond Times-Dispatch</i> Best Book of the Year</b> When Theodore Roosevelt became president in 1901, his beautiful and flamboyant daughter was transformed into Princess Alice, arguably the century's first global celebrity. Thirty-two years later, Alice's first cousin Elear moved into the White House as First Lady. The two women had been born eight months and twenty blocks apart in New York City, spent much of their childhoods together, and were far more alike than most historians ackwledge. But their politics and personalities couldn't have been more distinct. Democratic icon Elear was committed to social justice and hated the limelight; Republican Alice was an opponent of big government who gained toriety for her cutting remarks. The cousins liked to play up their rivalry--in the 1930s they even wrote opposing syndicated newspaper columns and embarked on competing nationwide speaking tours. When the family business is politics, winning trumps everything. Lively, intimate, and stylishly written, <i>Hissing Cousins</i> is a double biography of two extraordinary women whose entwined lives give us a sweeping look at the twentieth century in America.
- Author BiographyMarc Peyser is a writer and former deputy editor at both <i>Newsweek </i>and <i>Budget Travel</i>. His whose work has appeared in <i>The</i><i>New York Times</i>, <i>Life</i>, <i>Vogue</i>, <i>Time</i>, <i>Time Out New York</i>, <i>Conde Nast Traveler</i>, and the <i>Huffington Post</i>. He is currently the deputy editor of <i>All You</i> magazine. Timothy Dwyer was raised on Long Island's Eaton's Neck, swimming distance from Theodore Roosevelt's homestead at Sagamore Hill. He studied history and politics at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service and at the College of Europe in Bruges, Belgium. His work has appeared in <i>Time, Washingtonian</i>, <i></i>and online at <i>The Atlantic</i>. He is the chief executive officer of The School Choice Group, an education advisory company.
- Author(s)Marc Peyser,Timothy Dwyer
- PublisherAnchor Books
- Date of Publication08/03/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAnchor Books
- Weight318 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.