The abbey of St Peter, which later became Gloucester Cathedral, had its origins in the seventh century and was re-established in the eleventh. It benefited considerably from Norman patronage, growing in importance, size and wealth. Henry III was crowned there in 1216, and it is where Edward II was buried. It subsequently became a place of pilgrimage, and received several benefactions from Edward III. Volume 1 of the abbey's records, edited by W. H. Hart and published in 1863, begins with a chronicle of the abbey's history from its foundation to the late fourteenth century. It also includes a comprehensive list of the lands held by the abbey. It is followed by the first 423 charters, arranged by location rather than date. The cartulary was compiled in the late thirteenth century, with some later insertions.