Save on Other
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $42.98
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $39.25
- AU $41.77Trending at AU $43.22
- AU $34.10Trending at AU $36.46
- AU $27.39Trending at AU $29.41
- AU $22.99Trending at AU $27.21
About this product
- DescriptionThis third edition of Historical Dictionary of Judaism covers the history of the Jewish religion, ranging from its biblical roots, through its formulation in the era of the Talmud, to the present day. This collection covers the development of Judaism in the medieval Christian and Islamic worlds, its varied responses to Enlightenment and modernity, the creation of new philosophies of Judaism in the wake of the Holocaust, and the establishment of the State of Israel, and contemporary issues such as feminism, secularism, and the ethics of war and medicine. This is done through a chrology, an introductory essay, appendixes, and an extensive bibliography. The dictionary section has over 800 cross-referenced entries on important personalities in Jewish religious history, including biblical personalities with an emphasis on how they are understood in Jewish, Christian, and Islamic tradition. This book is an excellent access point for students, researchers, and anyone wanting to kw more about Judaism.
- Author BiographyNorman Solomon served as rabbi to Orthodox congregations in England for 22 years, after which he engaged in interfaith relations, setting up the Centre for the Study of Judaism and Christian-Jewish Relations at Birmingham and taking part in international interfaith conferences in more than 20 countries. In 1995 he was appointed Lecturer in Modern Jewish Thought at Oxford, and though now retired remains a member of Wolfson College, Oxford and the Oxford University Teaching and Research Unit in Hebrew and Jewish Studies.
- Author(s)Norman Solomon
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleHistorical Dictionaries of Religions, Philosophies, and Movements Series
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note3 maps, 28 tables
- Weight1098 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.