All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe city of Warsaw exemplifies the strong pride and obstinate spirit of the Polish people. During its nearly 700 year existence, Warsaw has been burnt down, flooded, plagued by epidemics, ravaged by war, and ruled by outside forces. Yet, after each downfall, the city's residents, much like the citizens of the rest of Poland, worked together to rebuild. The Varsovian attitude was adopted by many Poles after the defeated Warsaw Uprising during World War II, who felt united in the desire to share in a common fate, and be responsible for the future appearance and hor of their capital city and their country. The Historical Dictionary of Warsaw examines the history of this city, from its foundations as a Lusation settlement in the fourth century B.C., to its establishment as the capital of the Kingdom of Poland in the 17th century, its period of major cultural development in the early 1800s, its rebuilding after the World Wars, and up to its current place in the world as a democratic capital city, concentrating on its political, intellectual, and administrative life . A chrology highlights important dates in the historical development of Warsaw, a listing of the Presidents of the city is provided, as well as two maps, lists of abbreviations and acronyms, select bibliography, and tations on Polish spelling and usage.
- Author BiographyAdriana Gozdecka-Sanford (M.A., Warsaw University) is a Polish-born journalist and author who studied history and journalism at Gdansk and Warsaw Universities. She is the author of a novel and two books on the historical aspects of the Second World War, is co-author of the Historical Dictionary of Poland (Scarecrow 1994) and a biography on Poland (Clio Press, 1993).
- Author(s)Adriana Gozdecka-Sanford
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication28/08/1997
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleHistorical Dictionaries of Cities, States, and Regions
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Note2 maps
- Weight549 g
- Width143 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.