All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionMaking the historical past come alive for students is a goal of most social studies teachers. Many youth find the people and events and movements portrayed in their textbooks to be wooden, remote, and empty. For history to become alive to them, students seek personal meanings as they use kwledge of context and ponder details. Currently most school history programs emphasize kwledge acquisition at the expense of these personal constructions of meaning. This new collection of essays provides practical assistance in the search for a more robust teaching of history and the social studies. Contributors to this volume offer insights from the discipline of history about the nature of empathy and the necessity of examining perspectives on the past. On the basis of recent classroom research, they suggest tested guides to more robust teaching. They also employ examples from classroom practice about how teachers can facilitate students' consideration of multiple and sometimes conflicting perspectives when seeking historical meanings. The contributors insist that with experienced history and social studies teachers, students can learn many historical details and, with the use of empathy, develop deepened and textured interpretations of the history that they study.
- Author BiographyO. L. Davis, Jr. is Catherine Mae Parker Centennial Professor of Curriculum and Instruction. Elizabeth Anne Yeager is associate professor of social studies education at the University of Florida. Stuart J. Foster is associate professor of social science education at the University of Georgia.
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication28/04/2001
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight272 g
- Width147 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byElizabeth Anne Yeager,O. L. Davis,Stuart J. Foster
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.