All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the vantage point of nearly sixty years devoted to research and the writing of history, J. H. Elliott steps back from his work to consider the progress of historical scholarship. From his own experiences as a historian of Spain, Europe, and the Americas, he provides a deft and sharp analysis of the work that historians do and how the field has changed since the 1950s. The author begins by explaining the roots of his interest in Spain and its past, then analyzes the challenges of writing the history of a country other than one's own. In succeeding chapters he offers acute observations on such topics as the history of national and imperial decline, political history, biography, and art and cultural history. Elliott concludes with an assessment of changes in the approach to history over the past half-century, including the impact of digital techlogy, and argues that a comprehensive vision of the past remains essential. Professional historians, students of history, and those who read history for pleasure will find in Elliott's delightful book a new appreciation of what goes into the shaping of historical works and how those works in turn can shape the world of thought and action.
- Author BiographySir John Elliott is a prize-winning historian and Regius Professor Emeritus of Modern History, University of Oxford. He is the author of a sequence of major historical studies, seven of which are published by Yale University Press. He lives in Oxford, UK.
- Author(s)J. H. Elliott
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2012
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.