All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn November 26, 2010, intellectual juggernaut and staunch atheist Christopher Hitchens went head-to-head with former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, one of the Western world's most openly devout political leaders, on the highly charged topic of religion. Few world leaders have had a greater hand in shaping current events than Blair; few writers have been more outspoken and polarising than Hitchens. In this riveting confrontation, Hitchens and Blair square off on the contentious questions that continue to dog the topic of religion in our globalised world: How does faith influence our actions? What is the role of people of faith in the public sphere? Is religious doctrine rigid, or should we allow for flexibility in our interpretations? For the first time ever, this exclusive debate, which played out to a sold-out audience, is w available in print form, along with candid interviews with Hitchens and Blair. Sharp, provocative, and thoroughly engrossing, Hitchens vs. Blair is an electrifying intellectual sparring match on the oldest question - is religion a force for good in the world?
- Author BiographyChristopher Hitchens (1949-2011), 'one of the most prolific, and well as brilliant, journalists of our time' (Observer), was a contributing editor to Vanity Fair and a visiting professor of liberal studies at the New School in New York. The most recent of his numerous books are the international bestsellers God is Not Great, Hitch-22 and Arguably. Tony Blair was prime minister of the United Kingdom from 1997 to 2007. Since leaving office, he has served as the Quartet representative to the Middle East, representing the U.S., the UN, Russia, and the EU. In 2008 he launched the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, which promotes respect and understanding among the major religions. He is also the founder of the Africa Governance Initiative, an organization that works with leaders and their governments on policy delivery and on attracting sustainable investment in Rwanda, Sierra Leone, and Liberia. Tony Blair lives in the United Kingdom.
- Author(s)Christopher Hitchens,Tony Blair
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/07/2011
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.40
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $31.80
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.