All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThe world was t prepared for the massive onslaught launched by Nazi Germany on the Soviet Union on 22 June 1941 - the scale of the invasion, the speed of the German advance, the hundreds of thousands of Red Army soldiers taken prisoner, the chaotic, headlong retreat of Stalin's forces eastwards, towards Leningrad and Moscow. But equally it was t prepared for the Soviet fight back. For, despite all the predictions, the Red Army stemmed the Wehrmacht's advance, held the lines before Leningrad and Moscow, and mounted a counter-offensive that changed the course of the campaign and the outcome of the Second World War. These are the historic events that Nik Cornish portrays in the selection of rare wartime images he's selected for this graphic history of the war on the Eastern Front.The key aspects of the opening year of the war are vividly recorded - Operation Barbarossa; the German and Soviet forces as they marched and fought their way across the countryside and through the villages and towns of the Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltic states; the clashes at Brest, Smolensk, Kiev; the failure of Operation Typhoon, the turning point in this phase of the war which denied to Hitler the anticipated quick victory in the East.
- Author BiographyNik Cornish is a former head teacher whose passionate interest in the world wars on the Eastern Front and in Russia's military history in particular has led to a series of important books on the subject including Images of Kursk, Stalingrad: Victory on the Volga, Berlin: Victory in Europe, Partisan Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1944 and The Russian Revolution: World War to Civil War 1917-1921.
- Author(s)Nik Cornish
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication05/04/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Note175 photographs
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.