All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHobson's Island (so called because Mr. Hobson bought it, or did Mr. Hobson buy it because it was so called?) enjoyed decades of isolation in the Atlantic Ocean. For years, the caretakers lived there peacefully, with only a cow for company and an empty house to care for. But all is suddenly disrupted when a wave of unusual visitors arrive: a deposed African king fleeing a revolution, a Hobson descendant claiming ownership, government agents eyeing the nation-less real estate, and scientists looking to test a dangerous new invention. In typical Themerson fashion, the comic is wound up with the serious and let go to devastating effect. A clever and apt parodying of Cold War power plays and twisted science, Hobson's Island is a strangely touching, sympathetic, and emotional account of the families and individuals brought together and broken up by Hobson's Island.
- Author BiographyStefan Themerson was a Polish, later British poet, novelist, filmmaker, composer and philosopher.
- Author(s)Stefan Themerson
- PublisherDalkey Archive Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleBritish Literature Series
- Place of PublicationNormal, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDalkey Archive Press
- Weight454 g
- Width134 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $96.76Trending at AU $98.23
- AU $11.67Trending at AU $16.69
- AU $17.23Trending at AU $21.15
- AU $23.98Trending at AU $27.20
- AU $11.39Trending at AU $14.23
- AU $18.80Trending at AU $25.91
- AU $10.57Trending at AU $14.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.