All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.23
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
About this product
- DescriptionAn exciting new work in the burgeoning field of movie medieval ism, this collection of essays focuses on film representations of the Crusades, other medieval East/West encounters, and the modern inheritance of encounters between orientalist fantasy and apocalyptic conspiracy. The essays themselves make substantial contributions to our understanding of orientalist medieval ism in film. Several study the various filmic representations of popular figures such as El Cid, Roland, Richard I, and Saladin in films like Anthony Mann's El Cid and Frank Cassenti's Chanson de Roland. Other topics include the political crusade in Youssef Chahine's El Naser Salah Ad Din , the redemption of history and templar romance in recent films like National Treasure and The Da Vinci Code , and the role of set design, location, and landscape in setting the stage for cinematic medieval ism. A substantial introduction surveys the tion of cinematic inheritance and draws parallels between the medieval-era crusades and the modern inter-faith wars which have been thrust to the center of mass-mediated political discourse in the post-9/11 world.
- Author BiographyNickolas Haydock is professor of English at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez. In addition to movie medievalism and film, he also writes about medieval Scots literature. E.L. Risden is an associate professor of English at St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wisconsin. He has published books and essays on medieval and Renaissance studies as well as poetry and fiction. He is also the editor of Sir Gawain and the Classical Tradition (2006).
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/04/2009
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notephotos, notes, filmography, bibliography, index
- Weight431 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byEdward L. Risden,Nickolas Haydock
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.