All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fifteen hagiographies about holy women of the Syrian Orient collected here include stories of martyrs' passions and saints' lives, pious romances and personal reminiscences. Dating from the fourth to seventh centuries A.D., they are translated from Syriac into accessible and vivid prose. Antations and source tes by the translators help clarify elements that may be unfamiliar to some readers. This collection bears witness to the profound contributions women made to early Chistianity: their various roles, their leadership inside and outside the church structure, and their power to influence others. A new preface discusses recent developments in the field and updates the bibliography.
- Author BiographySebastian P. Brock is Reader in Syriac Studies at the Oriental Institute at Oxford and is the author of The Luminous Eye: The Spiritual World Vision of Saint Ephrem (Kalamazoo, 1992). Susan Ashbrook Harvey is Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Brown University and author of Asceticism and Society in Crisis: John of Ephesus and the Lives of the Eastern Saints (California, 1990).
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication18/08/1998
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleTransformation of the Classical Heritage
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 13
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note1 illustration, 1 map, bibliography
- Weight54 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated bySusan Ashbrook Harvey,Sebastian P. Brock
- Introduction bySebastian P. Brock,Susan Ashbrook Harvey
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.77
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.85Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.67
- AU $23.78Trending at AU $26.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.