All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHome/Bass brings to the forefront the myriad of folks that inhabit the up-South streets of Chicago or the unaltered roads of Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, and other pockets inhabited by Blacks throughout the South. Sterling Plumpp has lived with these folks--sharecroppers, preachers, misplaced Mississippi blues men and women. He has been in their houses, has dined at their tables, and has drunk at the bars on the corners. He is t a stranger to their articulations--voices that call to him from a Natchez cemetery, from the outskirts of some Mississippi Delta town, or settle on Maxwell Street in Chicago--all through the observant and often omnipresent lens of blues artist Willie Kent. Plumpp is always mindful of the slow, steady rhythms of the blues, t as backdrop, but as the foundation and framework on which he structures the components of this book. With the publication of Home/Bass, Plumpp has once again captured the very essence of language and the blues from the inside out.
- Author BiographySterling D. Plumpp--blues poet and essayist--is the author of thirteen books including Velvet BeBop Kente Cloth, Ornate with Smoke, and Blues Narratives. He is Professor Emeritus at the University of Chicago, where he served on the faculty in the African American Studies and English departments. Most recently, he served as a visiting professor in the Master of Fine Arts Program at Chicago State University.
- Author(s)Sterling D. Plumpp
- PublisherThird World Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThird World Press,U.S.
- Weight227 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $140.31
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $32.08
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.