All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book revisits and updates some classic Anthropology - the Xhosa in Town series - based on research in the South African city of East London conducted during the 1950s. The original studies concluded that there were two opposed responses to urbanisation in East London's African locations, one embracing Westernisation, European values and Christianity and ather opposed to it. The studies have been the subject of intense anthropological debate. Leslie Bank returned to the areas of East London studied in the 1950s to assess how social and political changes have transformed these areas, in particular the apartheid reconstruction of the 1960s and 1970s and the struggle for liberation followed by the post-Apartheid period in the 1980s and 1990s. Bank has added important theoretical insights to this rich ethgraphy, and forged strong links with issues that transcend the particularities of his urban study.
- Author BiographyLeslie J. Bank is the Director of the Fort Hare Institute of Social and Economic Research. He has published widely on issues related to social change and development in southern Africa.
- Author(s)Leslie J. Bank
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleAnthropology, Culture and Society
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Content Note1 map, 26 photographs
- Weight454 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.