Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.26Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.58Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionBook XXII recounts the climax of the Iliad: the fatal encounter between the main defender of Troy and the greatest warrior of the Greeks, which results in the death of Hector and Achilles' revenge for the death of his friend Patroclus. At the same time it adumbrates Achilles' own death and the fall of Troy. This edition will help students and scholars better appreciate this key part of the epic poem. The introduction summarises central debates in Homeric scholarship, such as the circumstances of composition and the literary interpretation of an oral poem, and offers syptic discussions of the structure of the Iliad, the role of the narrator, similes and epithets. There is a separate section on language, which provides a compact list of the most frequent Homeric characteristics. The commentary offers up-to-date linguistic guidance, and elucidates narrative techniques, typical elements and central themes.
- Author BiographyIrene J. F. de Jong holds the chair of Ancient Greek at the University of Amsterdam. She has published extensively on Homer, Herodotus and Euripides and is editing a multi-volume history of ancient Greek narrative. Some of her key publications are: Narrators and Focalizers: The Presentation of the Story in the Iliad (1987, reprinted 2004), A Narratological Commentary on the Odyssey (Cambridge University Press, 2001) and, with A. Rijksbaron, Sophocles and the Greek Language: Aspects of Diction, Syntax, and Semantics (2006).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/01/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleCambridge Greek and Latin Classics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight410 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byIrene J. F. de Jong
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.