All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.30
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
About this product
- DescriptionAlan Bray's Homosexuality in Renaissance England is a milestone work, one of those rare books that can be said to have virtually milestone work, one of those rare books that can be said to have virtually inaugurated a field of study--and one which remains a standard, comprehensive introduction to the subject. Since it was first published in England in 1982, however, it has been difficult to find in America. Examining the image of the sodomite in sixteenth- and seventeenth- century literature and polemic, Bray demonstrates how widely that image differed from the everyday occurrences of male homosexual behavior in ordinary households and schools. Homosexuality in Renaissance England explores how men who engaged in sodomy reconciled this behavior with their society's violent loathing for the sodomite, and shows how a social more that had remained stable for centuries changed dramatically toward the end of the seventeenth century. Widely considered the best study of its kind Homosexuality in Renaissance England clearly shows why the modern image of the homosexual cant be applied to the early modern period, when homosexual behavior was viewed in terms of the sexual act and t an individual's broader identity. Bray's classic work goes on to show how the early eighteenth century saw the earliest emergence of a homosexual identity. Finally available to a broad general audience in America, Homosexuality in Renaissance England is a must-read for anyone interested in sexuality during the early modern period.
- Author BiographyAlan Bray is an independent scholar living in London. A graduate of the University of Wales, he is a mbember of the Editorial Collective of History Workshop Journal.
- Author(s)Alan Bray
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication05/01/1996
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleBetween Men - Between Women: Lesbian & Gay Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note5 illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.