All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionHong Kong is one of the world's most densely populated cities. Land supply, property values and housing provision are inextricably linked with the city's ecomic growth and questions of ecomic equality. In Hong Kong Land for Hong Kong People, Yue Chim Richard Wong traces the history of Hong Kong's postwar housing policy. He then discusses current housing problems and their solutions, drawing on examples from around the world. Wong argues that housing policy in Hong Kong, with its multiple, often incompatible objectives, and its focus on supply over demand, can longer satisfy the needs of a diverse and dynamic population. He recommends three simple low-cost policies to promote home ownership and social mobility: sell public rental housing units to the sitting tenants; make subsidized homes more affordable; and reform the public housing program along lines adopted in Singapore, where government-built housing may be resold or leased in a free market. This is the second of Richard Wong's collections of articles on society and ecomy in Hong Kong. The first, Diversity and Occasional Anarchy, published by Hong Kong University Press in 2013, examines the growing contradictions in Hong Kong's ecomy predicament in historical context.
- Author BiographyYue Chim Richard Wong is professor of economics and Philip Wong Kennedy Wong Professor in Political Economy at the University of Hong Kong, where he was former Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost.
- Author(s)Yue-Chim Richard Wong
- PublisherHong Kong University Press
- Date of Publication05/05/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationHong Kong
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintHong Kong University Press
- Content Note14 b&w
- Weight466 g
- Width156 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.