Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.94+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'In Korea in those days, newborn girls were t deemed important eugh to be graced with formal names, but were instead given nicknames, which often reflected the parents' feelings on the birth of a daughter: I knew a girl named Anger, and ather called Pity. As for me, my parents named me Regret.' HONOLULU is the rich, unforgettable story of a young 'picture bride' who travels to Hawai'i in 1914. Instead of the affluent young husband and chance at an education that she has been promised, she is married off to a poor, embittered labourer who takes his frustrations out on his new wife. Renaming herself Jin, she makes her own way in this strange land, finding both opportunity and prejudice. With the help of three of her fellow picture brides, Jin prospers along with her adopted city, w growing from a small territorial capital into the great multicultural city it is today. But paradise has its dark side, whether it's the daily struggle for survival in Holulu's tenements, or a crime that will become the most infamous in the islands' history...
- Author BiographyALAN BRENNERT is the author of <i>Moloka'i</i>, which was a 2006-2007 BookSense Reading Group Pick and won the 2006 Bookies Award, sponsored by the Contra Costa Library, for the Book Club Book of the Year (over <i>My Sister's Keeper</i>, by Jodi Picoult; <i>The Devil in the White City</i>, by Erik Larson; and <i>A Million Little Pieces</i>, by James Frey). It appeared on the BookSense, <i>Los Angeles Times</i>, <i>San Francisco Chronicle</i>, <i>Honolulu Advertiser</i>, and (for 16 weeks) NCIBA bestseller lists. Alan has also won an Emmy Award for his work as a writer-producer on the television series <i>L.A. Law </i>and a Nebula Award for his story MaQui. He lives in Sherman Oaks, California.</p>
- Author(s)Alan Brennert
- PublisherGriffin Publishing
- Date of Publication01/02/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSaint Martin's Griffin,U.S.
- Weight399 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine31 mm
Most relevant reviews
- seek.love.give23 Jun, 2016by
Great historical fiction
Surprisingly engaging and informative, this book is hard to put down. Great holiday reading, apart from the fact that its a big book!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.84
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.43
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $83.68
- AU $13.32Trending at AU $16.97
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.