All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhilip F. Venticinque's new volume examines associations of craftsmen inthe framework of ancient ecomics and transaction costs. Scholars havelong viewed such associations primarily as social or religious groupsthat provided mutual support, proper burial, and sociability, and spaceswhere n-elite individuals could seek status supposedly denied themin their contemporary society. However, the analysis presented hereconcentrates on how craftsmen, merchants, and associations interactedwith each other and with elite and n-elite constituencies; managedecomic, political, social, and legal activities; represented theirconcerns to the authorities; and acquired and used social capital-a newand important view of these ecomic engines. Hor Among Thieves offers a study of associations from a social,ecomic, and legal point of view, and in the process examines how theyhelped their members overcome high transaction costs-the costs ofdoing business -through the development of social capital. He exploresassociations from the bottom up, in order to see how their memberscreate status and reputation outside of an elite framework. He thusexplores how occupations regarded as thieves in elite ideology createtheir own systems of hor. Hor Among Thieves will be of interest to scholars of the ancientecomy, of social groups, and Roman Egypt in all periods.
- Author BiographyPhilip F. Venticinque is Assistant Professor of Classics, Cornell College, USA.
- Author(s)Philip F. Venticinque
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleNew Texts from Ancient Cultures
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.