All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionTwo of Ezra Meeker's most defining traits were his ability to recognize business opportunities and his willingness to take risks. The Oregon Trail pioneer traveled west in 1852, eventually settling in the Puyallup Valley.
In the mid-1860s, he planted his first hops and attained modest success. Serving as a broker, he traveled to New York and London to open new markets, and hired a chemist to confirm Northwest hops produced more extract than those grown in Bavaria or New York.
In 1882, Pacific coast growers benefited from widespread crop failure elsewhere. Desperate brewers offered astromical prices. E. Meeker and Co. became the largest hops exporter in the country, and Ezra the official hop king.
As an outstanding entrepreneur on a local and global scale and through his involvement in pivotal regional events such as women's suffrage and the Chinese expulsion, Meeker helped transform the landscape, ecomics, and politics of his adopted home on Puget Sound.
- Author(s)Dennis M Larsen
- PublisherWashington State University Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWashington State University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width157 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.