All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNearly 200 photographs chronicle the evolution of Hopi jewellery over the last four decades and illustrate, through the Kopavi collection, the invative and often stunning creations of twelve well-kwn Hopi artists. Included are Victor Coochwytewa, Phillip Honanie, and Michael Kabotie, as well as Ricky Coochwytewa, Sidney Sekakuku, Sharold Nutumya, Watson Honanie, Bradley Gashwazra, Norman Honie Sr., John Coochyumptewa, Beauford Dawahoya, and Jason Takala Sr. The artists incorporate gold, platinum, diamonds, and rare turquoise into a tradition previously identified predominantly with silver, while expanding the range of designs to include narrative and ceremonial representations. Some of the icography speaks to the merging of two cultures: ancient Hopi and contemporary commodity. These objects have a historical voice and represent a major change t only in jewellery styles, but in Hopi culture.
- Author BiographyZena Pearlstone is Emerita Professor (Art History) California State University, Fullerton. Her publications include Katsina: Commodified and Appropriated Images of Hopi Supernaturals and About Face: Self Portraits by Native American, First Nations, and Inuit Artists (with Allan J. Ryan).
- Author(s)Zena Pearlstone
- PublisherSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication05/12/2014
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationAtglen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Content Note194 colour & b/w photos
- Weight1040 g
- Width215 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.