All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExamining the connection between baseball and our society as a whole, How Baseball Explains America is a fascinating, one-of-a-kind journey through America's pastime. Longtime USA TODAY baseball editor and columnist Hal Bodley explores just how essential baseball is to understanding the American experience. He takes readers into the Oval Office with George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton as the former presidents share their thoughts on the game, he looks at the changes that America's Greatest Generation ushered in, as well as examining baseball's struggle with performance enhancing drugs alongside America's war on drugs. An unabashedly celebratory explanation of America's love affair with baseball and the men who make it possible, this work sheds light on topics such as the role Jackie Robinson's signing with the Dodgers played in the civil rights movement, how baseball's westward expansion mirrored the growth of our national ecomy, labor strife, baseball families, the international explosion of the game, and even the myriad ways in which movies, music, and baseball are intrinsically tied. It is a must read for anyone interested in more fully understanding t only the game but also the nation in which it thrives.
- Author BiographyHal Bodley is a columnist for MLB.com and has covered baseball since 1958. He is a former columnist for USA Today and is the founder and former president of the Associated Press Editors Association and has served as a broadcast analyst for CBS, CNN, and NBC. He has won 30 regional and national writing awards and was elected to the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame and the Delaware Baseball Hall of Fame. He lives in Belleair Beach, Florida. George Will is a world-renowned newspaper columnist, journalist, and author. He was awarded the 1977 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary.
- Author(s)Hal Bodley
- PublisherTriumph Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTriumph Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byGeorge Will,Bob Costas
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.70
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $29.61
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.