All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
About this product
- DescriptionHow Black Were Our Valleys All profits from the sale of this book go to 'The South Wales Area - Miners' Beneficiary Fund, ' which helps ex-miners and their families both socially and medically. To commemorate 30 years since the 1984/85 miners strike, we have collected a variety of memories, stories, poems and events that happened during that time. A law professor who helped the miners with free legal advice, and also set up the Rhymney Valley Miners' Support Group. An inspirational speech that led to the making of this publication. Stories of hardship, solidarity, overcoming prejudices and adversity add to the diversity of this collection. Women who changed their outlook on life completely. The government tactics used against the striking miners. Those who were just children at the time and the impact it had on them when they were growing up. The generosity of all those that came out in support of the striking miners. What happened after the strike? Why did all those mines have to close? The memories and accounts are personal, these are the stories that didn't get to the mainstream media, but are extremely important regardless, t just to the South Wales Mining Community, but also to all those communities that were involved .
- Author BiographyNatalie and Deborah are 2nd year history students at University of South Wales, in Treforest. The book was written as part of their work placement with the NUM in Pontypridd. Natalie comes from a family of miners, with her dad and grandad both working in the pits, her own story is included in the book. Debbie writes short stories and poetry.
- Author(s)Deborah Price
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication03/02/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.