All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst you have to come out with a flow of ideas and decide which ones will work. Then you must give them a tight structure, and then write crisp dialogue which builds in constant laughs. This practical but inspirational book guides new and more experienced writers step by step through the process of each comedy genre. It gives space for your creativity to shine as you gradually build your skills. Beginning with sketches, the basic building blocks of comedy, you'll find how you can quickly create great premises, and then structure them into two-minute slices of hilarity. The same techniques will help you write a string of jokes and one-liners. * A practical guide to comedy as you write it, from creating mindmaps from which to glean your new material, to techniques of structure, characterisation and dialogue which work. * Covers the distinct techniques and mindsets needed by each genre in turn, in the usual progression of a writer's career - from jokes and sketches to sitcoms. You'll also learn how to find outlets for your work, from submitting to the BBC to staging your own show or filming comedy for the internet.
- Author BiographyTony Kirwood is a writer, teacher and actor. His sketches have been broadcast on TV and radio in Britain and all over Europe and he has produced sketch shows on the London fringe. For the last seven years he has been teaching comedy writing and standup comedy at colleges, writers' weekends and at his own independent venues. His writing students have gone on to success selling material to the BBC, producing radio shows and winning competitions. His standup comedy students have reached the finals of national and London-wide competitions. Tony's experience as an actor and standup comedian weaves a strong performance strand into the book which has sections on writing for actors and producing your work. Tony lives in London.
- Author(s)Tony Kirwood
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHow To Books Ltd
- Weight202 g
- Width131 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine16 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $33.17Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.