Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
About this product
- DescriptionHow The (Bleep) Did I Get This Old? showcases the best of LAVERNE'S VIEW, a humor column she began writing in 1999, that has been syndicated since 2004. The author returns to the single life after the breakup of a twenty-one year marriage. Men are older, but still motivated by the same primal urges, and four decades and three children later, she is still trying to preserve her virginity. Years bring bodily assaults, including cataracts, joint replacements, sagging boobs and a dying libido. Bardy describes the virtues of growing up in the forties and fifties when people survived bike riding without a helmet, driving without a seatbelt, and being flashed by men in trench coats without needing years of therapy. She curses her battle with weight, trading high heels for practical shoes, plastic key tags, never ending junk mail, and packaging that requires iron hands and an act of congress to open. After twenty-three years of vowing never to remarry, she succumbs to the charms of a man she meets online. When he proposes she suspects she must really love him because thoughts of marriage don't send her fleeing to the porcelain throne.
- Author BiographyLaverne H. (Pollak) Bardy's first writing job was as editor of her children's Parent Teacher Association's monthly newsletter, Hotline. She also worked with the school system's psychologist to create behavior modification skits that were presented to teachers and students, and she collaborated in writing a play that would aid in cementing fractured relations between teachers and parents. The play, titled Family Circus, brought rave reviews and succeeded in its goal of repairing relations between parents and teachers. Bardy spent several years writing press releases for fund raisers and organizations, for the West Essex Tribune. Assignments for Northern Horizons and Montague magazines had her exercising her journalism skills, but it didn't take long for her to realize that straight reporting did not allow for her need to write creatively, and with humor. In 1999 she was offered an opportunity to have her own column, LAVERNE'S VIEW in a regional New Jersey newspaper, 50 Plus Monthly. Her humourous, often irreverent, slant on life in general, and aging in particular, drew a large readership. She has been syndicated with Senior Wire News Service since 2004. Her column is read in newspapers internationally. She has written for magazines, and her work is included in many anthologies, and a college text book. She was interviewed twice for Bottom Line Retirement. How The (Bleep) Did I Get This Old? is a compilation of the best of those columns. Bardy attended University of Miami and Upsala College.
- Author(s)Laverne H Bardy
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication19/01/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.