All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSmithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture is truly groundbreaking! The first national museum whose mission is to illuminate for all people, the rich, diverse, complicated, and important experiences and contributions of African Americans in America is opening.And the history of NMAAHC--the last museum to be built on the National Mall--is the history of America. The campaign to set up a museum horing black citizens is nearly 100 years old; building the museum itelf and assembling its incredibly far-reaching collections is a modern story that involves all kinds of people, from educators and activists, to politicians, architects, curators, construction workers, and ordinary Americans who donated cherished belongings to be included in NMAAHC's thematically-organized exhibits. Award-winning author Tonya Bolden has written a fascinating chronicle of how all of these ideas, ambitions, and actual objects came together in one incredible museum. Includes behind-the-scenes photos of literally how to build a museum that holds everything from an entire segregated railroad car to a tiny West African amulet worn to ward off slave traders.
- Author BiographyAcclaimed author Tonya Bolden has written more than 15 books for young people, including Maritcha: A Nineteenth Century Girl; Searching for Sarah Rector, the Richest Black Girl in America; Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty; and M. L. K., The Journey of a King, among others. Her work has been recognized with the Coretta Scott King Honor; the James Madison Award; the Carter G. Woodson Award; and NCTE Orbis Pictus Honors, among others. Her titles are also frequently on YALSA, ALA, and CCBC best lists. She received the 2016 Nonfiction Award from the Children's Book Guild of Washington D.C. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Tonya Bolden
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication01/11/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintNew American Library
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width262 mm
- Height259 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.89
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.