All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'What a great book! Have to say, what a refreshing change to read a book written by someone who truly understands the subject they are writing about. Someone who can offer practical advice and strategies that can be used by staff working on the front-line. This book would be an asset to both new staff and those who have many years experience. I speak as the latter and any book which makes you question your own practice is welcome' - Rosemary Michael, Parental Support Adviser, Luton, UK 'As a school administrator and teacher, I have learned that parents are our most valuable asset. This book provides tremendous lessons to help school personnel maximize this priceless resource and positively impact the lives of students and families. Thank you, Marlyn, for a wealth of ideas and strategies for parents and teachers across the nation!' - Lindsey Pollock, Principal Houston Independent School District, TX Discover strategies for positive partnering with all parents - even the difficult ones! This must-have resource helps educators work effectively with all parents, even the most difficult ones, and prevent problems before they happen. Maryln Appelbaum offers targeted strategies, solutions, and skills to establish positive and harmonious relationships with all parents, overcome adversity, enhance the home-school connection, and boost student performance. How to Handle Hard-to-Handle Parents helps develop specific skills for communicating with all parents, including parents who are difficult, angry, overprotective, or overbearing. Packed with sample forms, letters, scenarios, and vignettes, plus techniques for involving families whose first language is t English, this guide helps educators: - Establish relationships with parents of all backgrounds - Recognize, and work with, characteristics of difficult people - Be proactive in getting parents to cooperate and follow through at home - Conduct expert parent conferences - Handle all types of parents, including Kw-It-All's , Blamers , Helicopter Parents , and more Indispensable for teachers, school leaders, counsellors, and all educators, this will become a much-referenced resource for building cooperative parent-teacher relationships that positively impact students' academic success.
- Author BiographyMaryln Appelbaum is well-known internationally as an outstanding authority on children, education, and families. She has worked as a teacher, an administrator, and a therapist and has been a consultant throughout the United States. She has written more than 30 how-to books geared exclusively for educators and parents. She has been interviewed on television and radio talks shows and has been quoted in newspapers including USA Today. She owns a seminar training company, Appelbaum Training Institute, with her son, Marty Appelbaum, and they and their speakers train educators all over the world. She has master's degrees in both psychology and education and completed her doctoral studies in both education and psychology. Appelbaum's influence impacts the entire globe with her thoughts for the day that go out to thousands of educators via e-mail daily. Her strategies have been implemented in schools across the world successfully. There is not a day that goes by that someone does not contact her at Appelbaum Training Institute to tell her thank you. Those thank you's come from teachers, administrators, parents, and students whose lives have been impacted by Maryln. Appelbaum's books and her talks are always packed with strategies for success. She is a positive, motivational, dynamic, caring, one-of-a-kind difference maker for the world.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication29/09/2009
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCorwin Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight277 g
- Width177 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byMaryln S. Appelbaum
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.96
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.