All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive reference work provides all the answers to all the technical questions that constantly arise when trying to identify accurately any kind of print. Is the print in my hand a woodcut, an etching or a lithograph? Is it a stipple engraving or a photogravure reproduction? The book is arranged in sections which can be consulted individually or as part of a larger detective operation. Some ninety different techniques are described, as well as essential features of printing history and related matters such as paper, plate marks, states and the principles of colour separation. A special section entitled 'The Sherlock Holmes Approach' leads the reader with previous kwledge towards the correct answer, while cross-referencing between sections provides a sequence of clues on some unusual kinds of print which even the expert will find revealing. A key feature of the book is the many illustrations of enlarged details showing the different appearance of various techniques under strong magnification. A glossary provides a clear guide to termilogy and to the book itself, completing an unrivalled and indispensable work of reference.
- Author BiographyBamber Gascoigne is a widely known broadcaster, author and publisher. He presented University Challenge from 1962-87. Among his other books are Twentieth-Century Drama and The Encyclopaedia of Britain.
- Author(s)Bamber Gascoigne
- PublisherThames & Hudson Ltd
- Date of Publication26/04/2004
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThames & Hudson Ltd
- Content Note272 illustrations, 40 in colour
- Weight950 g
- Width220 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.