All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionLearn to play one of Bach's most exquisite preludes in just 6 weeks, even if you have never played the pia before. An accessible and inspiring guide by the pianist and international bestselling writer James Rhodes, who promises that this book gives anyone with two hands, a pia or an electric keyboard and just 45 minutes a day the tools they need to learn to play Bach's Prelude No. 1 in C Major in 6 weeks, even if they kw thing about music and have never even touched a pia before. How often do we convince ourselves that it's just too late - too late to learn how to ride a bike, too late to kw how to meditate, too late to travel the world...As we get older and time slips through our fingers like water, we become resigned, almost defeatist, about abandoning our dreams. For James Rhodes, after the inevitable How many hours a day do you practice? and Show me your hands , the most common thing people say to him when they hear he's a pianist is I used to play the pia as a kid. I really regret giving it up . Where does this mourned and misplaced creativity go? For Rhodes, it's still there to be tapped into by all of us, at any point. This inspirational book gives us the means to do this, by breaking up Bach's seminal Prelude No. 1 from the Well-Tempered Clavier into manageable segments, teaching us the basics of pia playing - how to read music, the difference between the treble and the bass clef, sharp and flat tes, how to practice etc. - and encouraging personal interpretation in a way that is guaranteed to soothe the mind, feed the soul and unleash creative powers we didn't kw we still had. All of this will culminate in an ability to perform one of Bach's masterpieces. If listening to music is soothing for the soul, then playing music is achieving enlightenment. It's going from kicking a ball around with a few pals to playing alongside Ronaldo.
- Author BiographyJames Rhodes was born in London in 1975. A keen piano player, at eighteen he was offered a scholarship at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, but went to Edinburgh University instead. James stopped playing the piano entirely and dropped out after a year. He ended up working in the City for five years. After a devastating mental breakdown that led him to be institutionalised, he took the piano up again. He is now a professional and applauded concert pianist, writer and TV presenter. His memoir, Instrumental, was published to great critical acclaim and became an international bestseller.
- Author(s)James Rhodes
- PublisherQuercus Publishing
- Date of Publication06/10/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintQuercus Publishing
- Weight216 g
- Width131 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.