All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $63.88Trending at AU $66.36
- AU $79.36Trending at AU $80.86
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $30.93Trending at AU $31.82
- AU $26.72Trending at AU $31.82
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $53.61
- AU $22.67Trending at AU $25.26
About this product
- DescriptionPenelope Jane Parker - better kwn as PJ - is a precocious, sociable nine-year-old who, in the spring of her Grade 4 year, is keen to show her abilities as a sprinter in the annual school track meet. Her best friend, Katie, has interest in competing in the footrace that PJ kws she, PJ, will win. What do best friends do? Well, PJ decides that, in order to encourage Katie, she'll slow down to give Katie a chance when they race together in the warm-ups the week before the meet, so her friend will feel better about herself. But, as the race begins and PJ slows down, suddenly Katie surges into the lead, and PJ is left huffing to catch up; in fact, Katie wins the race.This begins a spiral of jealousy and anger and worry that causes a rupture in the friendship and a sequence of events during which PJ goes nuts trying to figure out how to retrieve her position as winner and good friend. PJ shops for a new best friend to avail. Her parents strongly advise her to make up with Katie. Her brother mocks her. PJ's nine-year-old world is falling apart - and it's only after a number of disastrous stumbles that the friendship is repaired and equilibrium is restored. The story is told with a lot of humour - it's the lighter side of what can sometimes be the very nasty and destructive world of plot and counter-plot that can infest the social lives of girls.
- Author BiographyCarolyn McTighe is freelance writer whose articles have appeared in magazines and newspapers across Canada and the United States. She has written for CBC Radio, the Los Angeles Times, Toronto Sun, Ottawa Sun, 24 Hours Vancouver and most recently ELLE Canada. Her first children's book, The Sakura Tree, was published in 2007 by Red Deer Press, and her first non-fiction adult book, Vacuuming in Pearls will be published in 2011. Carolyn lives in British Columbia, with her husband and four children.
- Author(s)Carolyn McTighe
- PublisherRed Deer Press
- Date of Publication09/06/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRed Deer Press
- Weight141 g
- Width135 mm
- Height191 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.