All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWINNER OF THE BAILEYS WOMEN'S PRIZE FOR FICTION 2015 WINNER OF THE GOLDSMITHS PRIZE 2014 SHORTLISTED FOR THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE 2014 WINNER OF THE 2014 COSTA NOVEL AWARD WINNER OF THE SALTIRE SOCIETY LITERARY BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD 2014 NOMINATED FOR THE FOLIO PRIZE 2015 How to be both is the dazzling, award-winning vel by Ali Smith Passionate, compassionate, vitally inventive and scrupulously playful, Ali Smith's vels are like thing else. How to be both is a vel all about art's versatility. Borrowing from painting's fresco technique to make an original literary double-take, it's a fast-moving genre-bending conversation between forms, times, truths and fictions. There's a renaissance artist of the 1460s. There's the child of a child of the 1960s. Two tales of love and injustice twist into a singular yarn where time gets timeless, structural gets playful, kwing gets mysterious, fictional gets real - and all life's givens get given a second chance. 'Brims with palpable joy' Daily Telegraph 'She's a genius, genuinely modern in the heroic, glorious sense' Alain de Botton 'I take my hat off to Ali Smith. Her writing lifts the soul' Evening Standard
- Author BiographyAli Smith was born in Inverness in 1962. She is the author of Free Love and Other Stories, Like, Other Stories and Other Stories, Hotel World, The Whole Story and Other Stories, The Accidental, Girl Meets Boy, The First Person and Other Stories, There but for the, Artful, How to be both, and Public library and other stories. Hotel World was shortlisted for the Booker Prize and the Orange Prize and The Accidental was shortlisted for the Man Booker and the Orange Prize. How to be both won the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction, the Goldsmiths Prize and the Costa Novel Award and was shortlisted for the Man Booker and the Folio Prize. Ali Smith lives in Cambridge and her next novel, Autumn, is forthcoming in the second half of 2016.
- PrizesWinner of Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2015. Shortlisted for Folio Prize 2015 and Man Booker Prize for Fiction 2014 and Costa Novel Award 2014 and Goldsmiths Prize 2014.
- Author(s)Ali Smith
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication16/04/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight266 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
Most relevant reviews
- lizr647713 Jul, 2017by
Definitely worth a read
A kind of coming of age, time travel, mystery story.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $96.38Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.