All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.77
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.85Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.67
- AU $23.78Trending at AU $26.94
About this product
- DescriptionHow to Be Yourself in a World that's Different is an accessible guide to Asperger's syndrome (AS) written for young readers who have been diagsed with AS and autism spectrum conditions. The book features clear explanations of the condition, including symptoms that are common to people on the autism spectrum, such as a hypersensitivity to touch and difficulties with balance and coordination. The characteristics and symptoms of other syndromes that often coincide with AS are also discussed, for example AD/HD, learning disorders and tics, as well as the temporary states of mental dysfunction that people with AS tend to be predisposed to, including depression, anxiety, obsessive and compulsive behaviors and catatonia. This informative and encouraging text highlights the positive aspects of autism spectrum conditions, such as diligence, fairness and a knack for unique ideas, but it also ackwledges the daily challenges faced by young people with AS and, crucially, offers strategies for dealing with these. Using case examples, Yoshida explores the difficulties of disclosing a diagsis, takes readers through the stages of practicing key social skills, and offers advice on seeking support.
- Author BiographyYuko Yoshida M.D. is a child psychiatrist at the Yokohama Psycho-Developmental Clinic in Japan, which specializes in diagnosing and treating children with autism spectrum and other developmental disorders. She is also Managing Director of the Institute of PsychoEducation for Children. She trained under Lorna Wing and Judith Gould, has over 20 years' clinical experience and is one of only a handful of professionals in Japan certified to use the Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (DISCO). She has previously authored Championing the individual: On raising children with Asperger's syndrome and high-functioning autism and co-translated into Japanese The Autistic Spectrum: A Guide for Parents & Professionals by Lorna Wing.
- Author(s)Yuko Yoshida
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication27/11/2006
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note17 half tones, 15 photographs
- Weight154 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Translated byEsther Sanders
- Foreword byLorna Wing
- Interest AgeFrom 11
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.