All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHistory has t been kind to Henry Hudson. He's been dismissed as a short-tempered man who played favorites with his crew and had an unstoppable ambition and tenacity. Although he gave his name to a mighty river, an important strait, and a huge bay, today he is remembered more for the mutiny that took his life. The grandson of a trader, Hudson sailed under both British and Dutch flags, looking for a rthern route to China. Although ne of his voyages led to the discovery of a rthwest passage, he did explore what is w Hudson's Bay and what is w New York City. Whatever his personal shortcomings, to sail through dangerous, ice-filled waters with only a small crew in a rickety old boat, he must have been someone of rare courage and vision. In Hudson, Janice Weaver has created a compelling portrait of a man who should be remembered t for his tragic end, but for the way he advanced our understanding of the world.
- Author BiographyJANICE WEAVER is a highly respected editor and the author of several acclaimed works of nonfiction for young people. Building America and From Head to Toe: Bound Feet, Bathing Suits, and Other Bizarre and Beautiful Things were each named Notable Books by the International Reading Association. From Head to Toe was also a finalist for both the Rocky Mountain Book Award and the Ontario Library Association's Red Maple Award. She is also the author of Mirror with a Memory: A Nation's Story in Photographs. Janice Weaver enjoys sailing near her home in Toronto, Ontario. DAVID CRAIG is a distinguished artist whose work includes a series of paintings commemorating Canada's effort in the Second World War, posters, and fifteen coins for the Canadian Mint, including three gold Olympic coins. He was the first Canadian to receive the James Madison Book Award for First to Fly by Peter Busby. His picture books include Amelia Earhart: Legend of the Lost Aviator by Shelley Tanaka, which received the Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children.
- Author(s)Janice Weaver
- PublisherTundra Books
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- First Published2011
- ImprintTundra Books
- Content Notecolour illustrations, maps
- Weight440 g
- Width208 mm
- Height264 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Barrister David Craig
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $63.56Trending at AU $66.11
- AU $79.36Trending at AU $80.55
- AU $60.00Trending at AU $71.11
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $31.69
- AU $28.87Trending at AU $31.69
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $53.41
- AU $22.67Trending at AU $25.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.