Human Biological Variation by John H. Relethford, Lyle W. Konigsberg, James H. Mielke (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $152.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $109.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAuthoritative yet accessible, Human Biological Variation, Second Edition, opens with an engaging introduction to basic genetics and the evolutionary forces that set the stage for understanding human diversity. It goes on to offer a clear and detailed discussion of molecular genetics, including its uses and its relationship to anthropological and evolutionary models. The text features up-to-date discussions of classic genetic markers (blood groups, enzymes, and proteins) along with extensive background on DNA analysis and coverage of satellite DNA, single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), and Alu inserts. It covers such current issues as the meaning and significance of race, quantitative genetics and the nature versus nurture debates, biocultural interactions, population structure, and cultural and historical influences on patterns of human variation. Discussing the use of probability and statistics in studying human variation and adaptation in a lucid and approachable way, the book provides clearly explained math that is kept to the level of basic algebra. Integrating real-world examples on interesting topics--including genetic testing, lactose intolerance, dyslexia, IQ, and homosexuality--the second edition of Human Biological Variation provides the most thorough and contemporary view of our biological diversity. New to This Edition * Explorations in Diversity boxes highlight in-the-news examples, including the use of parasites to study human biological variation, determining skin and hair color of Neandertals, and how biology influences mate choice * Includes a new chapter on milk, taste, and cerumen (Chapter 8) * Offers more extensive examples of adaptation and physiological variation * Discusses the latest research on traditional markers (blood groups, enzymes, and proteins) and their uses in anthropological studies of diversity * Provides updated references, web links, and suggestions for further reading
- Author BiographyJames H. Mielke is Professor of Anthropology at the University of Kansas. Lyle W. Konigsberg is Professor of Anthropology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. John H. Relethford is Distinguished Teaching Professor of Anthropology at the State University of New York College at Oneonta.
- Author(s)James H. Mielke,John H. Relethford,Lyle W. Konigsberg
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication29/07/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note171 black and white illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.